- This event has passed.
Effective Negotiation Skills
Negotiation is inevitably at the core of various business scenarios. However, there is a need to understand the structure, techniques and professional approach available, to positively influence and communicate an outcome in the day-to-day negotiation encounters with various stakeholders.
This hands-on workshop gives you a step-by-step guide to effective negotiation—from establishing a formal planning process to prioritizing and anticipating issues with different stakeholders. From mastering persuasion techniques to managing the communication styles of different negotiators. From recognizing and using leverage to adjusting your strategy to the objectives needed to be achieved in the negotiation.
This program will provide the necessary know-how to conduct effective negotiation. For an effective outcome, the program is divided into two key focus areas:
Focus 1: Negotiation Strategies
To provide the ‘hard skills’ of negotiations. Preparing the participants with the strategies and tactics to effectively manage the entire negotiations process.
The competencies involved are:
- Planning & Preparation
- Needs and Issue Analysis
- Negotiation Structure and Process
- Using Different Negotiation Styles
Focus 2: Negotiation Communication Skills
To provide the ‘soft skills of negotiations. Preparing participants to effectively influence the face-to-face communication and deliver the message in the ‘right’ persuasive manner.
The competencies involved are:
- Personality Profile Matching
- Building Rapport and Relationship
- Negotiation Influence Skills
- To provide the skills and confidence for conducting successful negotiations.
- To identify the key strategies and tactics for structured negotiations.
- To enhance the effectiveness of planning and preparation in the process of negotiations.
- To understand the various negotiation needs and interest of the other party in the negotiation process.
- To identify individual negotiation styles with relation to creating negotiation results.
- To improve the ability to build rapport, relationship and influence with different individual stakeholder personalities.
- Participant-centered delivery of key concepts.
- Case studies with role-plays practices to enhance understanding of key concepts, strategies and communication techniques learned during the workshop.
- Reflection exercise will be done after the case study to identify strengths and weaknesses.
- Case studies will be conducted at the end of each day’s session.
Key Tools Used in the Workshop
- Preparation Worksheet Template – a list of key focus required in preparing for any negotiations.
- Negotiation Styles Questionnaire – to discover individual negotiation style.
- Personality Styles Analysis – to understand different personality and characteristics.
- Post Negotiation Review – to analyse strengths and areas for improvements post- negotiations.
Who Should Attend?
Executives, Assistant Managers, Managers, Senior Managers and anyone who needs to negotiate a deal.
Module 1: Negotiation in Practise
- The key principles and mindset for negotiating effectively – the difference between Distributive and Integrative negotiation approaches.
- Focusing on the other party’s interests and differentiating the positions in a negotiation scenario.
- The negotiation process – preparation, beginning, exploring and closing.
Module 2: Planning and Preparation for the Negotiation
- Criteria for planning – content versus process.
- Setting the objectives for the negotiation outcome – focused to various outcomes and stakeholders.
- Anticipating issues and challenges – preparing well thought-out solutions, strategies and responses.
- Planning the ZOPA – zone of possible agreement.
- Negotiation planning template and checklists – personal action plan.
Module 3: Beginning and Exploring the Negotiation
- Effectively positioning the decision, solution, proposal or request.
- Concentrating on the issues – prioritizing and focus to a solution.
- Strategic moves – setting and controlling direction of the process.
- Negotiation in Practise – Case 1
- Understanding the various negotiation approaches to achieve the best outcomes
- Matching issues and outcomes to different negotiation strategic styles.
- Building an action plan of the right negotiating strategy for various negotiation scenarios.
Module 5: Communication and Influencing Skills
- Building rapport and managing a positive ‘climate’ during negotiations with different individual personalities.
- Discovering how to flex communication styles and emotional regulations to different negotiation outcomes and strategic positioning.
- Techniques to influence the negotiation dynamics – push versus pull.
- Negotiation in Practise – Case 2
About Expert Trainer
Expert Trainer has 25 years training experience where he effectively helped organizations improve performance through consultancy, coaching and training in the areas of leadership, negotiations, sales, emotional intelligence, customer service and critical thinking. He has conducted numerous workshops for over 10,000 professionals in Malaysia, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, India, Philippines and the Middle East.
He has also extensive leadership and sales experience, where as Marketing Head of a leading MNC, he successfully managed over 12 different products, and a team of 20 branch heads and over 100 sales people, grossing an annual turnover of USD30 million, for sales and distribution to both domestic and international markets.
Expert Trainer is also a Senior Trainer with the American Management Association (AMA) conducting management development programs in Philippines, Singapore and Malaysia. Dr. Sashee is a certified administrator of the Karl Albrecht Mindex Profiling Tool. He is also a Certified Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP) and Time-Line Therapy Practitioner from the American Board of Neuro-Linguistic (ABNLP). Dr. Sashee is also the Master Facilitator for Malaysia’s Human Resource Development (HRD) Train-the- Trainer Certification programs.
He holds a Doctorate in Business Administration (DBA) from University of Newcastle, a Masters in Marketing from RMIT University, and Bachelor of Management from University Science Malaysia (USM).
He believes in making a difference in leaders and individuals thinking and behavior development through his personalized, practical and dynamic approach to make learning an enjoyable and valuable experience.